Social Icons

Monday, October 25, 2010

Curry Fried Chicken Hoagies, Anyone?

Fried chicken is great. But curry fried chicken is even better. Tonight's meal took fried chicken up a notch and to make it even more interesting, I stuffed it into a hoagie bun with a bright chutney sauce slathered on top. It was, phenomenal.

To start, I used boneless skinless chicken breast. I know it's not traditional fried chicken, where a whole chicken is cut into eight perfect bone-in pieces, skin intact, and soaked then coated and fried. It still is fried chicken, just on my terms. I blended my flour-curry mix by adding freshly ground cumin, coriander, garam masala, paprika, cardamom, ginger, chilis, turmeric, hing (asofetida), salt, pepper and paprika - among a few other special spices. Then I mixed a few eggs with milk, salt and pepper and whisked until combined. My chicken was sliced into even, thin strips, thereby changing it's fried chicken status to a technical "chicken strip" by definition. The chicken took a dip in the spiced flour, a wash in the egg mixture and then another dip into the flour. Then, I pan fried. I used my favorite cast-iron skillet, revved the bad boy up to medium high and filled it halfway with vegetable and olive oil, to add flavor but raise the smoke point. The chicken strips fried for about 4 minutes per side, and made the house smell like an odd combination of Curry House meets KFC.

My hoagie buns were split and toasted, followed by a lavish smear of hot mango chutney, mayonaisse, fresh english cucumber slices, spring mix lettuce, thinly sliced red onion and finally - the curry fried chicken strips.

We chased the internationals with an ice cold beer and a nice, spicy, burp!

0 comments:

Post a Comment