Social Icons

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Homemade: 1, Restaurant: 0

 
We made the Big Mac better. (Can I get sued for saying that?) My son challenged the idea that organic/local is really better, especially when it comes to McDonalds. So, we came up with a test to prove (disprove) his theory. I would make a Big Mac using as much local/organic ingredients as possible and we would see if it tasted better.

                                                                                                                        I started with a pound of lean, grassfed ground beef sirloin. I lightly seasoned the beef with cracked black pepper and kosher salt before mixing and pressing into six, dignified little patties.


From there, I took three sesame kaiser rolls and trisected them. I set them aside and got to work mincing (very finely) half of a yellow onion, chopping some iceburg lettuc and making my "Big-Mac" secret sauce.





From there, I simply grilled the patties, topped each with organic cheddar cheese, toasted the buns lightly, and built the burger McD's style.


The final test was to feed it to my finicky children. The tall kid, my son Jr, had believed McDonalds would win...


I think it's safe to say, he lost and organic/local food won!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

looks yummy and I see that George dressed up for the occasion! (I love the candid shots!)
Next up: fries better than Mickey D's!

B. Salazar said...

That's easy! You must've missed my fries in duck fat entry on FB. Hands down, better than McDonalds. I'll pass the compliment on to Jorge, lol!

Post a Comment