Social Icons

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Steak Au Poivre, Horseradish Garlic Creamed Potatoes

That was my dinner tonight. I know, for those of you who know me, you'll be scratching your heads in confusion because BRYANNE DOESN'T EAT BEEF! Or does she? I need to break down the facts to you before I continue.

It all started on a clear night in late December, 2008. I was attending a function for the G-3 Marine Forces Pacific, (ok, it was a company Christmas dinner...) at the infamous "Don Ho's" restaurant in Waikiki. There was a small, but plentiful buffet table featuring one chicken dish, a pork dish and a beef dish, with a salad and some desserts. I dutifully grabbed a chicken thigh, a side of salad and a small pear dessert and sat with a few friends. They all had beef on their plates. It was not just any beef, but a soft, pink delicate slice of meat known to carnivores as Prime Rib. I watched the creamy sourcream and horseradish sauce pour across the reddish center of the meat, and felt a sudden desire to have it in my mouth.

And that is exactly what I did. I ended up eating not 1, but 4 slices of prime rib that night. It was the first time I'd eaten beef in nearly 15 years. And, I loved every single bite of it. When, about 4 days later I flew to Seattle, I bought and cooked an entire prime rib roast in my girlfriend's kitchen, feeding not only myself, but her, her lover, her friend and her adopted homeless man. Everyone proclaimed me the queen of beef, a title I do not take lightly. :)

So, I have not eaten beef since then, (It was December 29th to be exact!) but today, had a hankering for some pure iron. While at the store, I searched aimlessly through the various beef cuts, not knowing what to look for, when I came upon a $20 packet of 2 thick, deep purple red filet mignon. If you are a foodie or a chef, let me explain, (and if you're not, I'm still going to explain) Steak au Poivre is not generally made with a thick steak like a filet mignon, but the idea is the same, so I called my technique au poivre, meaning, "pepper crusted."

I rushed home, peeled, chopped and boiled the potatoes and then, hand cranked sea salt into a neat pile, lovingly cracked whole black pepper corns in my mortar and pestle and then delicately brushed the gently dried meat with extra virgin olive oil. I then brutally shoved the fleshy flesh into the salt and pepper mixture, coating it's backside with every morsel I possibly could manage. (Then I rotated and repeated!)

I seared the steaks in a flaming hot cast iron skillet for 2 minutes each side, then popped them into a preheated 415 oven for 10 minutes, letting them then rest for 10 minutes on the stove. The results? Heaven in my mouth. I mashed the potatoes with sour cream, garlic and horseradish, then of course added some fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt. Then, I made a fresh sourcream horseradish sauce with chives to top the steaks.

When I cut the steak into meaty bits, and placed them into my mouth, I disappeared into a place called, "Bryanne's Beefy Land" where I could not be bothered with anything other than the hedonistic pleasure I was receiving on account of a dead cow. (Gross, I know...)

Just thought I'd share while downloading music...

0 comments:

Post a Comment